Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Rules

Once upon a time I took a long drive to home from my little college town. I came home and everything was fabulous, a new hair do (still bun-able, believe me.) a boy asking me questions, and reuniting with an old friend. It was to be a lovely day. And then came the moment when the boy asked me to come along with his plans that night and I agreed, and that's how I formed The Rules.

The Rules of Choosing Who To Date

1. Do not date if: They cannot spell, the man in your life should be able to spell, it's not a full deal breaker if they use a "u" instead of spelling out "you" but if it gets to a point where "busy" has become "bizy" run. Just run away.

2. Do not date if: They live with their parents. Now this can be argued and for the most part has a little bit of leeway if they have just returned from a mission or long expedition and are between houses and need a place to bunk. But if the man is still living with his parents and expecting his eggs scrambled every morning, then that relationship should be over easy.

3. Do not date if: The pictures they are "liking" on Instagram, Facebook, and other social media networks are pictures that you would not feel comfortable sharing with your mom, or your roommate, or your cat. or anyone really. You're probably sad you saw what they were liking for yourself anyway. If the pictures are inappropriate, so is the guy.

4. Do not date if: He has just ended a relationship. Sure it seems like the perfect time, the guy is vulnerable, and sad and you just want to give him a hug. I don't care how nice this guy is to you, he's still thinking about his ex and his breakup and he really won't be over it for at least a couple weeks. Give it space, give him time, and absolutely remain classy about the whole situation, there is no need to trash talk an ex that you've never met, or that was never your own.

5. Do not date if: He doesn't know what he wants out of life. Now I know this one is hard, but hey, if a guy can't decide what he wants to be when he grows up, how is he going to decide if he wants you to be there when he grows up? An indecisive man leads to frustration, confusion, and questioning of your own judgement. You know what you want, so why shouldn't he?

6. Do not date if: He is still acting like a boy. Chivalry is not dead, saying chivalry is dead is an excuse boys made up and girls use constantly to feel better about not having the door opened or not getting flowers on Valentines Day. A Man will be the one treating you like you deserve only the best, because he knows you do. And a boy will be the one watching and making excuses for his lack of effort and love toward nurturing the relationship between the two of you.

The Rules are subject to my changing them at any time, maybe soon i'll put out a "Do date if" rules list. But so far, through my limited college and growing up and moving out and living on experience, this is what i've collected and I don't think thats too shabby.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I don't know who the boys are that say chivalry is dead but they're probably the ones obsessed with their swag. Just one error I spotted on number 5. You said that girls know what they want. I don't think that is true at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you've profiled the swag boys quite nicely. What I meant on number 5 is that the figurative girl in this situation had chose the boy to be the one she wanted, cause when a girl knows what she wants, there's not much else! But I agree, indecisiveness is a problem with females now a days.

      Delete